In this podcast episode on the “Ultimate Guide to Hiring a Builder”, we explore what you should be on the look out for when it comes time to find one. There’s a lot riding on getting the right one for you. Often it can feel a little overwhelming and a little daunting too yes? This being the case, we thought we’d talk about some of the important considerations you’ll need to think about when undertaking this process.
WELCOME TO SEASON 3 | EPISODE 23
HIRING A BUILDER – THE ULTIMATE GUIDE!
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW AND TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION
HOW DO YOU HIRE A BUILDER AND WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW???
Hiring a builder can be one of those incredibly daunting tasks. You’re basically entering into a relationship with only a few interactions and playing with a pretty large sum of money.
Is there a secret to knowing which one to go with?
HIRING A BUILDER – THE ULTIMATE GUIDE
In this episode, Rebeka and Kribashini share their ultimate guide to hiring a builder by diving into 8 key things to consider when you’re on the hunt for your perfect match. There are a lot of factors involved, but these areas will help you understand which builder is going to be the right fit for you and hopefully deliver you a better product.
We dive into checking registration and licensing, understanding quotes and the scale of your project. Also, we talk about how and why to get referrals from potential builders and the best questions you can ask a builder to get a feel for how they work.
Let’s not forget about the all-important contract! Make sure your expectations are aligned. Last but not least, we’ll discuss one of the most overlooked parts of the process – the handover (you definitely want that to happen smoothly!).
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK & WHAT ELSE YOU’D LIKE TO LISTEN TO!
We hope this episode helped to break down the process a little and give you the knowledge you need to move forward with your search for hiring a builder – the right builder for you that is – with confidence.
Find out more by reading our blog on the topic “The Right Fit for You – Ultimate Guide to Hiring a Builder”. It’s here where you’ll find all of the questions laid out for you!
Let us know what you think about this one, won’t you? If you’d like to leave us a little review, that would really help us out too… it’s so easy to do in the App where you get your podcasts. Thanks in advance! xx
If you have a topic or question you’d like us to cover, contact us here.
TOPICS WE COVER IN THIS EPISODE HIRING A BUILDER – THE ULTIMATE GUIDE:
- [02.20]: There are a lot of things to consider when looking for a builder to hire for your project, in this episode we’re going to go over eight key ones.
- [03.00]: The importance of having a good fit between client and builder so that the process is comfortable for everyone.
- [04.00]: The importance of checking that your builder is registered, and has a current license with their building authority.
- [05.15]: How to understand the differences between quotes that different builders might give you and how to pick what works best for you.
- [06.45]: The importance of understanding the appropriate scale of your project because this affects the cost, team size, and timeline.
- [08.40]: How and why to get referrals from potential builders before you hire them for a project.
- [11.00]: Why it can be really useful to look at a builder’s past project before you hire them.
- [12.00]: What are the best questions you can ask a potential builder about their past projects and their future work with you.
- [14.00]: Builders can step outside their common style of work as they have the training but there can be some downsides to this.
- [15.00]: It’s important that the builder’s workflow will match your expectations and fit your temperament.
- [16.50]: What are the key areas to consider to know if you and your builder will be a good match for your project.
- [19.00]: Having a well-written contract is essential.
- [20.15]: One of the most overlooked parts of the whole process is the handover process even though this should be well planned from the very beginning.
- [22.15]: Defects are another common problem that can arise during projects. We discuss how to identify them and pursue them.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Buy our new book BuildHer here
- Check out our resources page here and book your free 20min consult here
- BuildHer Collective on Instagram
- Build Like A BuildHer Program – Learn How to Build Your Dream Home the Right Way!
- The DevelopHers Masterclass Program – Women Building for Profit!
- Facebook Communities
We have several Facebook Groups at BuildHer Collective.
MEMBER ONLY FACEBOOK GROUPS
BHC DevelopHers Circle and BuildHer Collective Members Only – these are closed groups for women who are doing our Build Like a BuildHer course or who have joined our DevelopHers Inner Circle.
FREE FACEBOOK GROUP – Join Us!
Anyone is more than welcome to join our Women who Design, Decorate, Renovate & Build group. You will note that it’s a closed group. Just ask to join and if you’re into building and renovating.
This is such an amazing and supportive FREE community, so come on and join in the building goodness!