This podcast all came about from one of our members who wanted to find out a little more about HIP V. HYPE. A business set up because they have a firm belief in their responsibility to leave our cities and regions in a better condition than they found them. We talk to Director of Projects and Head of Sales, Katya Crema. The path that led to her joining the team and her passion and drive for sustainability, as shown and talked about in her latest project Ferrars & York, a development project of 22 carbon neutral apartments currently being built. Join us!
WELCOME TO SEASON 3 | EPISODE 52
CARBON NEUTRAL PROJECTS
WE’RE TALKING TO KATYA CREMA FROM HIP V. HYPE
IS THERE ANOTHER PATH TO CHOOSE?
Everyone experiences a fork in the road in their career and they have to decide which path to take. If you had the opportunity to keep working for a large corporate company or pave a new path to make a difference, which would you choose?
IN THIS PODCAST WE ARE TALKING ABOUT SUSTAINABILITY & CARBON NEUTRAL PROJECTS
In this episode, Kribashini is chatting with Katya Crema, the Director of Projects and Head of Sales for HIP V. HYPE. They are a socially conscious, ethical and environmentally focused project developer, sustainability consultancy, and workshare collective for businesses in Melbourne, Australia. They are creating and developing amazing things in the world of architecture, development and environmentally conscious design.
We talk about Katya’s previous career, her educational background, and her journey to joining HIP V. HYPE. Katya was even a professional athlete and competed in two Winter Olympics in Ski Cross!
Katya’s passion and drive for sustainability are echoed throughout our conversation and can be seen in her latest project ‘Ferrars & York’, a 22-apartment development site that will be 100% powered by renewable energy.
We are so excited, Katya shares the three most important pieces of advice to consider when embarking on your own project, whether it’s your own home or a large development site! Head over to HIP V. HYPE’s website to check out more of their beautiful designs.
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK & WHAT ELSE YOU’D LIKE TO LISTEN TO!
Let us know what you think about this one, won’t you? If you’d like to leave us a little review, that would really help us out too… it’s so easy to do in the App where you get your podcasts. Thanks in advance! xx
If you have a topic or question you’d like us to cover, contact us here.
TOPICS WE COVER IN THIS EPISODE OF CARBON NEUTRAL PROJECTS:
- [1:42]: Katya discusses the three components of her business. The incredible projects. The sustainable consultancy across from single homes to major urban precincts. The collective workshare for sustainably-minded businesses.
- [3:32]: The aim is to create more environmentally sustainable, socially responsible and more commercially intuitive projects.
- [4:32]: Katya shares her background and journey to joining HIP V. HYPE.
- [5:10]: Katya spent the first 10 years of her career as a professional athlete, even competing at two winter Olympics in Ski Cross.
- [6:14]: Katya joined her family business and learnt priceless experience. She then left to join PwC and work on large scale government projects.
- [7:32]: She and her partner acquired a 22-apartment development site in Melbourne ‘Ferrars & York’ and she jumped into Hip V. Hype. She talks us through the vision behind ‘Ferrars & York’.
- [9:26]: There is always a fork in the road in your career at some point in your career.
- [11:13]: You’ll only ever experience the impact of your design decisions by living in your own development. Katya and her partner are moving into an apartment in ‘Ferrars & York’. They live and breathe their projects.
- [14:03]: The reason they have found success in their niche is that people are looking for comfortable housing that has a lower impact on the environment.
- [16:28]: Houses have become multifaceted as people are home more often during the pandemic.
- [17:28]: Katya talks about the energy performance of their house in Brunswick – $30-50/month. They didn’t turn their heating on upstairs throughout all of Winter! In-slab hydronic heating on the ground floor made it a comfortable 22 degrees.
- [20:07]: Katya shares three wonderful pieces of advice: Think about sustainability from the outset of the project, prioritise your goals and how you will achieve them, and communication of sustainability principles to all contractors.
- [23:04]: Katya provides an example of communicating the tangible benefits of sustainability effectively.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- HIP V. HYPE Website
- Follow HIP V. HYPE on Instagram
- Buy our new book BuildHer here
- Check out our resources page here and book your free 20min consult here
- BuildHer Collective on Instagram
- Build Like A BuildHer Program – Learn How to Build Your Dream Home the Right Way!
- The DevelopHers Masterclass Program – Women Building for Profit!
- Facebook Communities
We have several Facebook Groups at BuildHer Collective.
MEMBER ONLY FACEBOOK GROUP
This group is for members only – BuildHers and DevelopHers. This is a closed group for women who are doing our Build Like a BuildHer program or who have joined our DevelopHers Masterclass.
FREE FACEBOOK GROUP – Join Us!
Anyone is more than welcome to join our Women who Design, Decorate, Renovate & Build group. You will note that it’s a closed group. Just ask to join and if you’re into building and renovating.
This is such an amazing and supportive FREE community, so come on and join in the building goodness!