How Interior Designers Collaborate with Draftspeople and Building Designers

It is well known that there are many different types of designers available when considering building a home. They range from those who design products to those who engineer skyscrapers! Considering which designers could help you achieve your aims in residential building is a useful exercise. When consulting with an Interior Designer, Draftsperson or Building Designer, always collaborate together from planning stage, as their design skills can overlap.


An Interior Designer, collaborating with the home owner, determines specifics from the internal cabinetry, fit outs, bathroom and kitchen layouts and detailed requirements from within. Beyond the structure of the build, we create the interiors with the client, providing scheme boards, finishes, material options, colour themes and furniture design, all with spatial awareness in mind. These areas are all impacted from the outside form and structure of the home. Land size controls dimensions, but lifestyle should determine the overall design.

Pic @briannaihorne Project & Interior Design @hausfits_design – small kitchen renovation Ivanhoe

Building Designer, Trahar Designs defines their role in the building process as “offering services which include the drafting required to produce a set of drawings which can be used for Planning and Building Permit applications as well as getting building quotes. We do most of the design work and preliminary sketches by hand and then pass the project onto our contract draftsmen to do the documentation on CAD”. These drawings will include roof form and height, structural engineer reports for footings and framing specifications,Soil Reports and Energy Reports.
A ‘*Draftsperson is responsible for preparing plans for building work or preparing documentation relating to building permits or permit applications’ Building Designers and Interior Designers often specify detailed designs then contract a draftsperson to create CAD drawings or 3D visualisation. *VBA: Victorian Building Authority
A building plan could be performed by either a Building Designer or a Draftsperson, depending on their expertise! The home owner should give great consideration which design expert best fits this role by determining the perplexity of the building requirements within the new build, renovation or extension options.

Image @gemmacarrphotographer of Jane Haussegger. The planning stage is the best time for Interior Designers and Building/Drafts people to collaborate.

As an Interior Designer I collaborate with the home owner, trades and Building Designer to provide all the interior selections and custom designs, whilst aiming to take the overwhelming emotion of designing & renovating out of the equation and step clients through clear design processes.

Interior Designers, Drafts people and Building Designers working together from day 1 will always create the best design & cost effective solutions for the home owner.

Written by: Jane Haussegger, founder and Creative Director of Hausfits Designs. A Melbourne based Design Studio, specialising in Interior Design + Renovations for residential spaces. Collaborating with home owners and creating a lifestyle vision is the foundation to a beautifully, desired outcome. Studied Interior Decoration and Design in the UK and Furniture Design at RMIT. Go to Janes Instagram here 

Related Articles