LIGHT ME UP – UNDERSTANDING MODERN LIGHTING
WITH DANIELLE MASTRO FROM LIGHTS LIGHTS LIGHTS
Even the most aesthetically pleasing spaces are nothing without a carefully chosen supporting light to view them in. However, lighting is often treated as an afterthought, addressed late in the build after formwork and trims, leaving little freedom of choice or room for creativity. It needs to be thought of early on in the build so that it can complement the architecture and create the moment required. Lighting designers are crucial for this. French actor and director Eric Cantona said it best: “An artist is someone with the gift to light up a dark room”.Our artist this week is Danielle Mastro, the lighting maestro from Lights Lights Lights with 13 years of industry experience. This bulb whisperer is physically unable to darken anyone’s doorway (unless of course, it needed it). She joins BuildHer’s Rebeka to talk about the importance of lighting and when devote time to it in your build.
If you have a topic or question you’d like us to cover, contact us here.
SOME TOPICS THAT WE COVER:
- Lighting and architecture work hand-in-hand and should be considered together
- Although usually addressed as an afterthought in a build, lighting needs to be one of the first things considered
- Getting to know the client and the way they use their spaces to ensure the lighting design matches their intentions
- Danielle’s 5 top tips when approaching lighting for your job:
- Consider it early.
- Be spatially aware. Use the space that you live in all the time, and pick a measurement so that you’re aware of how lighting will work in particular rooms/spaces as a reference
- Know how you want to live and breathe in your space
- Consider layering your lighting
- Educate and enlist a lighting designer to challenge you to do different things
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Lights Lights Lights website.
- Lights Lights Lights Instagram.
- Contact Danielle via the website or via email.
- Check out the BuildHer freebies page and book your free 20min consult.
- BuildHer Collective on Instagram
- Build Like A BuildHer Program
- DevelopHers Inner Circle
- Facebook Communities
We have several Facebook Groups at BuildHer Collective.
MEMBER ONLY FACEBOOK GROUPS
BHC DevelopHers Circle and BuildHer Collective Members Only – these are closed groups for women who are doing our Build Like a BuildHer course or who have joined our DevelopHers Inner Circle.
FREE FACEBOOK GROUP – JOIN US!
Anyone is more than welcome to join our Women who Design, Decorate, Renovate & Build group. You will note that it’s a closed group but ask to join and if you’re into building and renovating, this is such an amazing and supportive FREE community, so come on and join in the building goodness!