LIVING IN A RENOVATION
REBEKA & KRIBASHINI SHARE THE HOT TIPS ON HOW TO SURVIVE IT!
Renovating is super exciting but it can also be really stressful and exhausting. If your budget or circumstances don’t allow for the luxury of living elsewhere while you’re renovating, it’s an experience you want to be prepared for. Lucky for you, Rebeka and Kribashini have quite a lot of experience and are raring to share their top tips to make things easier during a renovation.
In this episode, Rebeka and Kribashini take a dive into the practicalities of living through a renovation and share what they have learned through their numerous personal renovation experiences. If you’re thinking about renovating or currently living through a renovation, this episode is for you.
Rebeka and Kribashini compare living through a renovation to camping. It’s fun (for some) and really dirty. There’s basically no way around the dirt factor but there are some practical ways you can minimise the impact and mentally prepare for the experience. They share some super helpful tips on decluttering, setting up a temporary kitchen and making sure everyone knows where the rubbish bin is!
A sense of humour goes a long way in a potentially stressful situation. There will be dust everywhere, there will be noise and tradies in and out of the place, so Rebeka and Kribashini remind us to laugh and bring the fun to renovation. And if you really can’t hack it, there’s no harm in having a weekend away to bring back some perspective. Remember WHY you’re doing this in the first place!
We all need a little help from our friends sometimes and renovation is definitely the time to start reaching out to your family and friends. A meal here or there and some babysitting goes a long way. Everyone has a different experience throughout renovations so make sure you let us know your top tips. We’re all about helping each other and keeping the joy of renovation alive.
If you have a topic or question you’d like us to cover, contact us here.
SOME TOPICS THAT WE COVER:
- [1:50]: Decluttering and minimising down to the absolute essentials before starting
- [4:00]: Think about the type of furniture you have and whether it’s worth moving it out of the house to make space for renovations
- [5:30]: Seal off sections really well and expect that you will be living with a lot of dust
- [6:20]: Bring the fun into it – try to think of it as camping
- [8:00]: Remember the “why”
- [8:40]: Setting up temporary spaces to make food prep and daily duties easier.
- [10:30]: Rebeka’s early renovation experience and how they set up a temporary kitchen
- [11:30]: Think about the weather and how you can work around the buildup of mud and dust
- [12:45]: Think about rubbish bins and communicating to tradies about where to put them
- [14:35]: How important it is to ask for help
- [16:30]: Try to find a way to cook instead of eating too much take away
- [17:15]: The power of gratitude. Frame up your experience to be grateful for what you’re able to do
- [18:15]: Have an escape plan so you can have some space away from renovation if you need it
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Check out our resources page here and book your free 20min consult here
- BuildHer Collective on Instagram
- Check out our “Build Like A BuildHer” Program
- Check out our “DevelopHers Masterclass” Program
- Facebook Communities
- 133 Things to Think About Before You Build or Renovate
We have several Facebook Groups at BuildHer Collective.
MEMBER ONLY FACEBOOK GROUPS
BHC DevelopHers Circle and BuildHer Collective Members Only – these are closed groups for women who are doing our Build Like a BuildHer course or who have joined our DevelopHers Inner Circle.
FREE FACEBOOK GROUP – Join Us!
Anyone is more than welcome to join our Women who Design, Decorate, Renovate & Build group. You will note that it’s a closed group but ask to join and if you’re into building and renovating, this is such an amazing and supportive FREE community, so come on and join in the building goodness!