A CHAT WITH ROB GRAY FROM GRAYA
BUILDING A BUDGET WITH YOUR BUILDER
Hiring a builder versus owner-builder. It is a question we have delved into quite a few times on this podcast as it is difficult for many to see the value in spending money on something they could potentially do themselves. Well, this episode is a little different. Rebeka chats with Rob Gray, half of Brisbane-based building and development company Graya. Their point of difference is that not only will they generate plans based on customer briefs and manage a build, but they can assist in the entire development process from selection and acquisition of the block to choosing the structure, assembling the dream team, and finally to building your vision.
Rob discusses the importance of prioritising branding and marketing early on as a means of building and developing (pun intended) business relationships in the industry. This means Graya has an immense network of reputable architects, contractors, designers and builders at their disposal; a network they have accumulated over many years in the industry. They have come a long way from their affordable beginnings to their niche in the luxury development market, and Rob talks through the evolution of his joint-managed business with his brother before listing the crucial questions you should ask your next builder/designer/architect before recruiting them.
Graya places customer satisfaction at the top of their priority list and in addition to providing an amazing, tested and true service, they facilitate you seeking competitor quotes and pricing checks so you know that your precious budget is being utilised in the most efficient manner. And Rob is proud to state he can’t remember ever losing a contract on these grounds.
So whilst Graya is certainly not in the affordable, entry-level, housing development market, maybe there are a few DevelopHers out there that are looking to take the leap into the lucrative high-end development arena in which case Graya is the ideal first point of contact for you.
If you have a topic or question you’d like us to cover, contact us here.
SOME TOPICS THAT WE COVER:
- [2:09]: How Graya got started as a building and development company
- [6:50]: The importance of the marketing behind the Graya brand and how it was at the front of their mind from the very beginning
- [8:00]: The size of the team currently working at Graya
- [10:44]: The benefit of hiring a team like Graya: the relationships that the team already has in place and how this is able to support your build and budget
- [11:00]: How the Graya approach prioritises customer satisfaction with a more turnkey ethos
- [13:40]: Really understanding the cost estimates as you’re designing
- [14:46]: How to interview a builder to get the result you’re after
- [17:76]: Understanding the plan approval process with your builder and the contracts that are put into place
- [19:00]: A lesson for the builders listening: spend the time upfront to establish a clear budget with the client and be really transparent with the scope of the work
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Graya Website: https://graya.com.au/
- Graya Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/graya/
- Check out our resources page here and book your free 20min consult here
- BuildHer Collective on Instagram
- Build Like A BuildHer Program
- Build Like a MasterBuildHer Masterclass Program
- Facebook Communities
We have several Facebook Groups at BuildHer Collective.
MEMBER ONLY FACEBOOK GROUPS
BHC DevelopHers Circle and BuildHer Collective Members Only – these are closed groups for women who are doing our Build Like a BuildHer course or who have joined our DevelopHers Inner Circle.
FREE FACEBOOK GROUP – Join Us!
Anyone is more than welcome to join our Women who Design, Decorate, Renovate & Build group. You will note that it’s a closed group but ask to join and if you’re into building and renovating, this is such an amazing and supportive FREE community, so come on and join in the building goodness!