WELCOME TO SEASON 3 | EPISODE 4
IMPOSTOR SYNDROME & WOMEN IN THE BUILDING INDUSTRY
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ALL ABOUT???
We recently held a workshop where there was an overwhelming show of hands when we asked if any women felt uncomfortable in the building industry. And at BuildHer, we think that’s just not good enough. Why do we question if we can do it? Why aren’t there more women in the building industry?
In this episode, Rebeka and Kribashini unpack why so many women (including them!) struggle with impostor syndrome, even those who are experts in their field. We talk about some of the stereotypes and mentalities that drive women to think they can’t do it themselves and the misconceptions surrounding what it takes to build, renovate or develop for profit.
Rebeka and Kribashini are never ones to shy away from a challenge and they talk about how they’ve had to push through their own mental barriers and learning curves over and over again. They discuss how you don’t have to be an expert at everything but simply know how to gather the experts to make the project happen.
2021 is kicking off with a bang with loads of events to empower women in the building industry. If you’ve been thinking about building or renovating for profit or looking into development, don’t let those niggling fears and insecurities stop you from taking the plunge.
Head to one of our events this year to surround yourself with people who are doing what you want to do. You’ve got what it takes to go for it if you want to.
If you have a topic or question you’d like us to cover, contact us here.
SOME TOPICS THAT WE COVER:
- [1:45]: The stereotypes of people in the building industry and women sometimes limit themselves by thinking they can’t do certain things.
- [3:18]: How many women have imposter syndrome and feel afraid to speak up about something they know a lot about.
- [5:15]: Women are usually really good at managing the big picture and getting a team in place to complete a project. You don’t have to be an expert in every process.
- [6:00]: How there is a lack of exposure to the building industry and that people have a wrong mentality that they need to be a builder in order to renovate or develop.
- [7:25]: Even experts in the industry struggle with imposter syndrome but it’s about getting out of your comfort zone and giving things a go.
- [8:40]: We had to break through mental barriers when we wrote a book but our apprehension didn’t stop us from doing it.
- [10:15]: Our International Women’s Day event is a chance to surround yourself with people who are doing what you want to do.
- [12:00]: We are also scared and feel like imposters but we are pushing through it and hope you do too.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Come along to our International Women’s Day event
- Check out our other upcoming events here
- Check out our resources page here and book your free 20min consult here
- BuildHer Collective on Instagram
- Build Like A BuildHer Program
- Build Like a MasterBuildHer Masterclass Program
- Facebook Communities
We have several Facebook Groups at BuildHer Collective.
MEMBER ONLY FACEBOOK GROUPS
BHC DevelopHers Circle and BuildHer Collective Members Only – these are closed groups for women who are doing our Build Like a BuildHer course or who have joined our DevelopHers Inner Circle.
FREE FACEBOOK GROUP – Join Us!
Anyone is more than welcome to join our Women who Design, Decorate, Renovate & Build group. You will note that it’s a closed group but ask to join and if you’re into building and renovating, this is such an amazing and supportive FREE community, so come on and join in the building goodness!