In this week’s BuildHer Podcast with Maddie Tippens, we chat to this lovely BuildHer about her most recent renovation. A renovation that we loved so much, we decided to include it in our new book BuildHer. Yes – if you didn’t know already – we wrote a book! Listen to find out more about Maddies gorgeous style.
WELCOME TO SEASON 3 | EPISODE 13
SHE’S IN THE BUILDHER BOOK!
WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT THIS MADDIE!
Renovating is hard enough but imagine doing it with 4 kids while living in a one-bedroom studio. Sounds challenging right? And that’s exactly what our guest Maddie Tippens did. She joins us today to tell us about her experience and how it was all worth it.
IN THIS EPISODE OF THE BUILDHER PODCAST WITH MADDIE TIPPENS
Maddie is one of our incredible BuildHer members and has had an interesting renovating journey. In this episode, Maddie chats with Kribashini about her first renovation project in the Upper West Side of New York. It was there that she worked hard to make a quirky space comfortable with no experience and a very limited budget.
We talk about the difference between the American and Australian design aesthetics and how Maddie has brought her unique flavour to her projects, including the beautiful Miller Street project which is their current family home. We hear about Maddie’s experience renovating her first Australian property in 30 days after the surprise arrival of twins. It was the success of that project that then enabled her to go on to the next.
Maddie talks in some detail about the Miller Street project. Her approach to the renovation and relationship with her builder and the importance of her mindset in the 4 months of living in the backyard with her family of 6. She talks about balancing the puzzle of trades and understanding that building and renovating is a complex process.
Maddie’s journey isn’t over yet because now there’s talk of another project on the cards. She’s definitely got the bug and we think she should be so proud of what she’s achieved.
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK & WHAT ELSE YOU’D LIKE TO LISTEN TO!
We just know that you’re going to love this BuildHer podcast with Maddie Tippens! She’s got style, she’s got grace, her homes are absolute winners! If you’d like to leave us a little review, that would really help us out too… it’s so easy to do in the App where you get your podcasts. Thanks in advance! xx
If you have a topic or question you’d like us to cover, contact us here.
TOPICS WE COVER IN THIS BUILDHER PODCAST WITH MADDIE TIPPENS:
- [1:30]: How Maddie got the renovating bug when she was living in an apartment in the upper east side of New York and she worked to find ways to make it more livable.
- [2:30]: How Maddie is a teacher by trade and has no design background but did the renovation herself to save money and because she is quite picky.
- [3:30]: The New York apartment was a very strange space so it was about figuring out the design challenge and doing what they could do to make it more comfortable.
- [4:30]: How Maddie was shocked by the difference in design aesthetic between the USA and Australia. She has a mix of both elements in her design.
- [6:00]: How the BuildHer course taught Maddie to match her vision to her values and this is reflected in how cohesive her projects are.
- [7:00]: How Maddie’s children had some strong ideas for how things should look, in particular the outdoor spaces.
- [8:30]: How Maddie’s Northcote home became too small when she had the surprise of twins and they renovated to 3 bedrooms in 30 days on a tight budget.
- [10:15]: How Maddie wanted their place to look a bit different which required a lot of research and thankfully they had a great builder. The outcome enabled them to purchase the Miller street project.
- [10:55]: How the Miller Street house was nearly unlivable but the course gave Maddie the confidence that she could do it. They spent as much as they could afford, worked the design before actually buying and used the same builder.
- [12:45]: How they had a very limited budget so they lived in the tiny studio out the back instead of paying extra rent. They pushed through because they knew it was temporary.
- [14:20]: Being on-site is really helpful so that Maddie could answer the small questions, build trust and have the perspective to know that the process is complex.
- [16:30]: The mindset of being hopeful and patient was important and having an appreciation for the fact that nothing is straightforward.
- [17:40]: Miller Street is currently a beautiful 4 bedroom home and they are now considering an extension or selling it to go through the process again.
- [19:00]: The self-contained studio has so many possibilities including a teenager retreat or AirBnB. Having the flexibility is important as the family’s needs change over the years.
- [19:45]: Maddie’s book, ‘Reading Without Limits’.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Get Maddie’s book here
- Buy our new book BuildHer here
- Check out our resources page here and book your free 20min consult here
- BuildHer Collective on Instagram
- Build Like A BuildHer Program – Learn How to Build Your Dream Home the Right Way!
- The DevelopHers Masterclass Program – Women Building for Profit!
- Facebook Communities
We have several Facebook Groups at BuildHer Collective.
MEMBER ONLY FACEBOOK GROUPS
BHC DevelopHers Circle and BuildHer Collective Members Only – these are closed groups for women who are doing our Build Like a BuildHer course or who have joined our DevelopHers Inner Circle.
FREE FACEBOOK GROUP – Join Us!
Anyone is more than welcome to join our Women who Design, Decorate, Renovate & Build group. You will note that it’s a closed group. Just ask to join and if you’re into building and renovating.
This is such an amazing and supportive FREE community, so come on and join in the building goodness!