WELCOME TO SEASON 3 | EPISODE 16
HE’S GOT THE ANGLE COVERED!
Who among us is guilty of a bit of back-seat building? Yelling abuse at those naive couples on The Block? Throwing stones from their outdated, run-down glass houses? It’s very easy to talk the talk, but to walk the walk is a completely different matter; never more true than in the development industry. One does not simply buy, develop and sell without suffering a myriad of preventable headaches. Wouldn’t it be great if we could hear from a dual-trained developer in both property and commerce with a decade of experience in residential property development? Who among us has this angle in the property field? No prizes for guessing… Our guest!
IN THIS EPISODE OF THE BUILDHER PODCAST WITH LACHIE GIBSON
Rebeka chats with Lachie Gibson, one of the directors of Angle, a high-end, suburb-specific, Melbourne-based residential development agency. We talk all things building, developing and taking the dive to start your own business as a developer. With a background in commerce and years of experience in the development industry, Lachie has a lot of insight to share.
Angle specialises in big-budget development and has intentionally niched down into specific suburbs in Melbourne, and we’ll explore how and why they ended up with that model. We also talk more broadly on the importance of choosing a market to work in and knowing that market inside and out, what you should look at first when considering a property and how to find your own niche to work in.
Lachie has a wealth of insight to share with us and if you’re an emerging developer, or a builder looking to hone their knowledge, this episode definitely has something for you.
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK & WHAT ELSE YOU’D LIKE TO LISTEN TO!
It’s a real privilege to talk to people in the industry who are so willing to share their knowledge and experiences. In this BuildHer podcast with Lachie Gibson we were certainly excited to hear and share his property developing journey. Thank’s for joining us on he Building with BuildHer podcast Lachie – we could have talked to you all day!!!
Let us know what you think about this one, won’t you? If you’d like to leave us a little review, that would really help us out too… it’s so easy to do in the App where you get your podcasts. Thanks in advance! xx
If you have a topic or question you’d like us to cover, contact us here.
TOPICS WE COVER IN THIS BUILDHER PODCAST WITH LACHIE GIBSON:
- [1.25] What is Angle’s property development area of expertise?
- [4.50] How Lachie found his passion for development, the journey from high school to the present day, through university, internships, and his time working for the Goodman Group.
- [8.00] The importance of having a background and depth of knowledge before jumping into the industry.
- [9.40] Developers need to be a jack of all trades and one of the most important skills they can have is being able to ascertain value.
- [11.50] The nuance that exists in the property market and how many different things can affect a property’s value. We also touch on how you come to know these things by gut feeling as you get more and more experienced.
- [15.20] The bigger the project, the greater the variation you can see in the numbers. An example of this is in ‘public open space contributions’.
- [17.10] Why Lachie and Angle like to work in the high-end range of development, and the benefits that can have for managing the budget compared to the lower range.
- [19.15] A further look at the challenges you might face when changing the type of property you work on, whether that is price range or property type.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Angle Website: https://www.angle.com.au/
- Angle Instagram: @ourangle
- Buy our new book BuildHer here
- Check out our resources page here and book your free 20min consult here
- BuildHer Collective on Instagram
- Build Like A BuildHer Program – Learn How to Build Your Dream Home the Right Way!
- The DevelopHers Masterclass Program – Women Building for Profit!
- Facebook Communities
We have several Facebook Groups at BuildHer Collective.
MEMBER ONLY FACEBOOK GROUPS
BHC DevelopHers Circle and BuildHer Collective Members Only – these are closed groups for women who are doing our Build Like a BuildHer course or who have joined our DevelopHers Inner Circle.
FREE FACEBOOK GROUP – Join Us!
Anyone is more than welcome to join our Women who Design, Decorate, Renovate & Build group. You will note that it’s a closed group. Just ask to join and if you’re into building and renovating.
This is such an amazing and supportive FREE community, so come on and join in the building goodness!