This BuildHer Podcast with Samantha Sutton is such a fun one! Just like everyone else, we are also looking for inspiration and exciting renovation journeys to follow and we found one in After Hours Farm – the story of Samantha and her now fiance Sean saving / retoring / wreaking havoc on an 1860’s Michigan farmhouse (their description, not ours). We loved her story telling so much that this was another “it must go in the BuildHer Book” moment!
WELCOME TO SEASON 3 | EPISODE 20
SHE’S IN OUR BUILDHER BOOK!
ALL THE WAY FROM MICHIGAN, USA – HI SAMANTHA!
We have a special guest on the show today who is one of the renovation superstars featured in our new book. Samantha Sutton joins Rebeka today to talk about the beautiful 1860’s Michigan farmhouse that she and her partner, Sean, have been renovating for the last 4 years.
IN THIS EPISODE OF THE BUILDHER PODCAST WITH SAMANTHA SUTTON
In this episode, Sam shares how the renovation journey has been so far and the work involved in salvaging a boarded-up farmhouse that was about to be demolished. She talks about why they decided to do a lot of the work themselves (ok, it was her expensive taste) and how their professional backgrounds have woven into the building and design work.
We also talk about Sam’s greatest learning experience throughout the renovation process, how they’ve been handling the budget for the project and what they’ve been looking at in terms of future projects. We know it never stops!
You can follow Sam and Sean’s renovation journey on Instagram and be sure to keep an eye out for her soon to be released HD series which follows their journey from demo to finished product.
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK & WHAT ELSE YOU’D LIKE TO LISTEN TO!
We hope you enjoyed this episode with Sam, all the way from Michigan USA and Rebeka. Let us know what you think about this one, and don’t forget to give her some love on the Gram too!
If you’d like to leave us a little review, that would really help us out too… it’s so easy to do in the App where you get your podcasts. Thanks in advance! xx
If you have a topic or question you’d like us to cover, contact us here.
TOPICS WE COVER IN THIS BUILDHER PODCAST WITH SAMANTHA SUTTON:
- [1:30]: Sam explains the 4-year-long, ongoing journey of building and renovating her own home.
- [3.00]: The foundation for the additions to the house was flooded by an ill-timed monsoon.
- [4:30]: Sam, and her partner Sean’s professional backgrounds and how these have led to their building and design work.
- [6:10]: They decided to do a lot of the work themselves rather than hiring people mostly because of Sam’s expensive taste.
- [7.50]: The greatest learning experience for Sam during this process has been learning to communicate effectively to her partner and all the different contractors they work with.
- [9.40]: How they’ve been handling the budget for this project. The view they started off with and how they’ve adjusted that over time.
- [12.00]: What they’ve been looking at in terms of future projects. The immediate next project being a new barn on their current property.
- [14.50]: Finding a forever home can be hard because it stifles the urge to create, plan and design.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Samantha’s Instagram: @afterhoursfarm
- Samantha’s Website: https://afterhoursfarm-mi.com/
- Buy our new book BuildHer here
- Check out our resources page here and book your free 20min consult here
- BuildHer Collective on Instagram
- Build Like A BuildHer Program – Learn How to Build Your Dream Home the Right Way!
- The DevelopHers Masterclass Program – Women Building for Profit!
- Facebook Communities
We have several Facebook Groups at BuildHer Collective.
MEMBER ONLY FACEBOOK GROUPS
BHC DevelopHers Circle and BuildHer Collective Members Only – these are closed groups for women who are doing our Build Like a BuildHer course or who have joined our DevelopHers Inner Circle.
FREE FACEBOOK GROUP – Join Us!
Anyone is more than welcome to join our Women who Design, Decorate, Renovate & Build group. You will note that it’s a closed group. Just ask to join and if you’re into building and renovating.
This is such an amazing and supportive FREE community, so come on and join in the building goodness!