Impressive landscapes are something that Darin Bradbury from Mint Pool and Landscape Design has developed through years of landscape experience. Get together Rebeka (who is currently studying Landscape Design) and Darin who clearly has a passion for Landscape Design and you got two people who could chat all day!
WELCOME TO SEASON 3 | EPISODE 32
CREATING LANDSCAPES THAT IMPRESS!
WE CHAT WITH DARIN BRADBURY FROM MINT POOL AND LANDSCAPE DESIGN
HOW DID IT ALL BEGIN?
Have you ever looked at your garden and thought “where do I start?” Or “how do I create an impressive landscape with a limited budget?”
IN THIS PODCAST WE ARE TALKING ABOUT DARIN BRADBURY ABOUT HIS IMPRESSIVE LANDSCAPES
In this episode, we are talking with Darin Bradbury from Mint Pool and Landscape Design about all things garden and landscape. Mint Pool and Landscape Design is a company in Victoria that specializes in creating modern contemporary designs that seamlessly bring together indoor and outdoor living.
Darin discusses how it is important to consult with and/or hire a garden designer early in the building project to aid in cost-effectiveness. He speaks about the practicalities of building pools, of creating intimate and private spaces with plants, and what to really focus on when you have a limited budget.
We encourage you to listen to this episode and hear Darin’s passion when discussing garden and pool design and his excitement may rub off on you in your own projects.
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK & WHAT ELSE YOU’D LIKE TO LISTEN TO!
A topic Rebeka could so happily talk about all day, share your landscape stories with us via the comments in our Instagram post.
Let us know what you think about this one, won’t you? If you’d like to leave us a little review, that would really help us out too… it’s so easy to do in the App where you get your podcasts. Thanks in advance! xx
If you have a topic or question you’d like us to cover, contact us here.
TOPICS WE COVER IN THIS EPISODE WITH DARIN AND HIS IMPRESSIVE LANDSCAPES:
- [02:19]: Darin discusses how Covid-19 has impacted garden design.
- [04:04]: The landscape and the garden are valuable and are what sells the home.
- [05:11]: Hardscaping are the built surfaces, eg. decks, paths, paving.
- [05:35]: Darin highlights when you should hire a landscape designer. It is more cost-effective at the beginning and not left as an afterthought.
- [07:42]: It is beneficial to get some plants in from the beginning of the project to aid in screening.
- [09:33]: I discuss how important it is to put the pool in first to ensure that the building structure is done correctly. Darin considers how building a pool closer to the house will impact the building and how it is much more cost-effective to build the pool first. The term ‘angle of repose’ refers to transferring the weight of the foundations through the soil onto the rock or the bedding foundation.
- [13:00]: Darin discusses his interests in plants and how he has developed a hardscape passion in the last few years. Think about how plants can frame a space, create privacy or create a more intimate space.
- [15:11]: A garden does not need to be static, it changes and grows.
- [15:52]: I discuss the realities of garden maintenance. I love my gardens to look good all the time without spending too much time maintaining them.
- [17:51]: The options for plants are growing and we are experimenting with plant foliage. There is a big emphasis on plants and moving away from an overly structured planting style in the past to something more relaxed and informal.
- [19:00]: Try yourself if you have a limited budget but do the research and think through your space. Consider talking to a garden designer to have an initial conversation and discuss ideas to obtain a thorough understanding of what you can create.
- [22:42]: If you have a limited budget, focus the money on the alfresco area (deck, paving or barbeque area) and spend less money further away from the house by building garden beds with smaller plants
- [24:18]: Darin discusses how he is most proud of a centrepiece garden for a large-scale residential project where he grew up in Keysborough.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Mint Pool and Landscape Design: https://mintdesign.net.au/
- Mint Pool and Landscape Design Instagram: @mintdesignau
- Buy our new book BuildHer here
- Check out our resources page here and book your free 20min consult here
- BuildHer Collective on Instagram
- Build Like A BuildHer Program – Learn How to Build Your Dream Home the Right Way!
- The DevelopHers Masterclass Program – Women Building for Profit!
- Facebook Communities
We have several Facebook Groups at BuildHer Collective.
MEMBER ONLY FACEBOOK GROUP
This group is for members only – BuildHers and DevelopHers. This is a closed group for women who are doing our Build Like a BuildHer program or who have joined our DevelopHers Masterclass.
FREE FACEBOOK GROUP – Join Us!
Anyone is more than welcome to join our Women who Design, Decorate, Renovate & Build group. You will note that it’s a closed group. Just ask to join and if you’re into building and renovating.
This is such an amazing and supportive FREE community, so come on and join in the building goodness!